Are you a nonresident boater?

Questions for nonresident boater education and payment programs

If you and your watercraft are coming to any Utah waterbody — including Lake Powell and other interstate waters — from another state, here are a few things to keep in mind.

Frequently asked questions:

  • What are the requirements for nonresidents?

    All motorized boats used in Utah waters that are not currently registered in Utah are subject to a $20 registration fee, and all boaters must complete an annual online AIS education course prior to registering.

    Follow these steps to meet the requirements:

    1. Take the free Mussel-Aware Boater Program online course. This course is designed to educate boaters about quagga mussels, their impacts and relevant aquatic invasive species laws in Utah. (You must take this course before registering your vessel.)
    2. Register your vessel online and pay the $20 nonresident boater fee (good for one year from the date of issue).

    Note: These steps must be completed prior to arriving in Utah.

  • Do I need to complete the online education course and pay the fee to use my SUP, kayak, canoe, etc.?

    No, non-motorized vessels are not subject to these requirements, but users of non-motorized watercraft are still required to self-certify that they’ve effectively cleaned, drained (if applicable) and dried their vessel before launching in a Utah waterbody.

    In general, owners of vessels that would otherwise be required to register in the state of Utah are subject to the AIS education and fee requirements.

  • Will I be able to register and pay the fees for multiple vessels?

    Yes, the payment portal allows for fee payment for multiple vessels at one time. However, a separate $20 fee is required for each vessel.

  • Why doesn’t this apply to Utah residents?

    Owners of boats registered in the state of Utah already pay a fee as part of their registration process.

  • How long is the certificate from the online education course valid?

    The education certificate is valid for the calendar year (expires December 31 of the year taken).

  • How long is the payment receipt valid?

    Payment for a non-Utah registered vessel is good for one year from the date of issue. Think of this as the same as a car registration.

  • Will I still need to self-certify that my boat has met the decontamination requirements prior to launching?

    Completion of the online education course and displaying the completion certificate on the dash of the launch vehicle — and either saved to the boater’s phone or kept on the boat — satisfies the self-certification requirement.

    The requirements are listed here.

    To expedite your trip to Utah:

    • Upon course completion and vessel registration with payment, boat owners should print out two copies of their registration certificate. As a backup, we recommend also saving a copy to your mobile device.
    • Place one copy of the certificate on the dash of your launch vehicle to show proof of completion.
    • A registration certificate is also required to be present on your vessel at all times. (A printed certificate or image saved to your mobile device meets this requirement.)

    Save time: By printing out the certificate for your vehicle dash, putting one in your boat and saving it to your phone, you will expedite your entrance and exit to the state.

  • What if I launch outside of Utah on an interstate water like Bear Lake, Flaming Gorge Reservoir or Lake Powell?

    If your boat is used within Utah at any point — including on an interstate water — you must comply with the education and fee requirements.

  • Where can I pay the fee for a non-Utah registered boat?

    You first have to complete the online education course before registering your vessel and paying the fee. After completing the course, you will have the option to enter the vessel registration and payment portal where you can pay a $20 fee. If you have already taken the online education course and have your customer ID handy, you can go directly to the payment portal.

  • What is the QR code on my certificate for?

    The QR code on your completion certificate has your boat type and bow number embedded in it. Rather than our watercraft inspection staff having to ask you this information and enter it manually into our data collection system every time you launch, with the QR code they have the ability to quickly scan the code on your certificate to collect this information and get you on the water faster.

  • What if there are multiple owners of a boat? Who is responsible for paying the fee?

    The person who was responsible for registering the boat in the state where it is registered is also responsible for paying the $20 fee associated with that boat’s use in Utah.

  • What if I paid the fee and received the certificate, but want to let someone use my boat without me?

    A copy of the certificate obtained after completing the online course and paying the fee should remain with the boat at all times. In addition, the user of the boat also needs to place a copy of this certificate on the dash of the launch vehicle.

  • I own a boat that is slipped/moored at Lake Powell. Do I need to complete the online course and pay the nonresident fee for my boat?

    If the boat is used anywhere within the state of Utah, the boat owner must complete the course and pay the fee, regardless of where the boat is kept. That means that if your boat is stored at Wahweap or Antelope Point marinas in Arizona, these requirements will pertain to you as soon as your boat crosses into Utah on the water.

    Note: You may be eligible for the Lake Powell Local Boater Program, which may expedite your travel in and around Lake Powell.